Image Map

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Adventures in Media: Slugs and Bugs

I have a terrible memory. 
Daniel has a fantastic memory. 
I hope our kids inherit Daniel's ability to remember things. 
Especially when it comes to memorizing important things like God's word. 

One thing that has always helped me remember things is to put whatever it is I am trying to memorize to music. For may people a song can trigger memories of a place or an event. I can hear a song that I haven't heard in years and instantly know most if not all of the words. So it makes sense for me to use music to memorize scripture.

 My mother-in-law stumbled on to a children's event at a church in our area and invited Rebekah and I too attend with her. (It was Rebekah's first concert!) And our music lives will never be the same!  

The concert was called:



I've been trying to put into words the idea of Slugs and Bugs.

Their website explains S&B the best...

"We believe songs are one of God's powerful tools for building strong relationships. When songs inspire laughter or deep spiritual thought, they can transform a routine car ride into a sweet family experience. Over time, that influence can profoundly impact the culture of the home.
Slugs & Bugs aims to write those songs. We want families to sing together, laugh together, and think deeply together about the meaning of life and the nature of God."

Some of the songs are silly, like the song about the tractor, and the one all about Mexican food. 

Some of the songs are straight from the Bible.

 Rebekah's favorite is "Light of the World" or the Sha-la-la song as she calls it. The lyrics are taken from Mathew 5:14&16. Another favorite in our van is the 10 Commandments song. Because of this song my 2.5 year old can recite all the 10 Commandments. (How many adults can do that?!) And unlike many kids CDs that we have, I actually enjoy listening to the songs too and find myself listening when I'm alone in the van! 

We sing "Do, Do, Do, Do everything without grumbling or complaining" when we are having a grouchy moment. And right at this moment, while she is SUPPOSED to be sleeping, I can hear here singing in her bed "For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us new in Christ" Eph 2:8-9

If you are looking for a way to bring the word of God into the minds and hearts of your children, grandchildren, or even yourself, I would tell you to get a Slugs and Bugs Sing the Bible CD. There are currently 5 different volumes and right now they are making 2 new ones! If you would like to help be involved in the Kickstart campaign just click {HERE} for more information! 

If you want to get a taste of the songs you can download the Slugs and Bugs app, or if you have Amazon Prime, one of the CDs is available on their music streaming app. 

Have you heard of Slugs and Bugs before?! Or do you have another favorite Biblical kid's music group? I would love to hear about them! 


1 comment:

  1. We love Slugs and Bugs, too! Such a perfect blend of hilarious silliness and joyous scripture. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete